After divorce, can you legally get married without your fianc knowing your previous marriage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After divorce, can you legally get married without your fianc knowing your previous marriage?

I had married someone out of the country and
did not consumate the marriage. We did not live
together nor have kids or properties together.
I don’t want my fianc to know about this ugly
past of mine.

Asked on January 2, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It does not matter if you did not consummate the prior marriage: unless you went through the legal proceedings to get an annulment or a divorce, you are still legally married in the eyes of the law. That means you cannot legally marry another person--you *must* end the first marriage first. If you do not and it ever comes to light that you were still married, you current marriage will be null and void--even if the information doesn't  come up for years to come.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption