After an accident, how long do you have to wait for the insurance company to fix your car?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After an accident, how long do you have to wait for the insurance company to fix your car?

Asked on September 19, 2014 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no hard-and-fast timeline or timeframe, so it's impossible to say with certainty when it's too late. Typically, they will complete any investigation and let you know whether they will pay and how much within 15 - 30 days; then it's usually up to the car's owner to find the repair shop and make arrangements, though sometimes the insurer will direct him/her to use either a particular shop or give him/her a list of a few choices to pick from. If the insurer seems to be taking too long, ask them; if they don't reply or don't give you a straight answer about when they'll be ready to let you go ahead with the repairs, you may need to consider legal action against them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption