After a domestic violence attack my friend took her boyfriends gun and left the apartment. because she feared for her life.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After a domestic violence attack my friend took her boyfriends gun and left the apartment. because she feared for her life.

He was arrested for domestic violence and his gun was still in the apartment. THe cops knew there was a gun. She was suppose to return it to the police but she just put it in the storage unitl with everything else and forgot about it. She was asked to bring it back, she did and now the guy is saying it’s not his. We think he’s just trying to get her in trouble. She did nothing wrong and the cops won’t listen to her. they are saying she will be arrested for gun theft. we need to stop this at the pass. Please what can we do.

Asked on April 24, 2009 under Criminal Law, Delaware


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Well, if you want to help your friend, immediately hire a criminal defense attorney who specializes in victims' rights and domestic violence issues.  Try


Do not wait; again, do not wait.  Oftentimes the police do not pay attention to the implications unless they are trained in domestic violence considerations and issues.  Immediately call a lawyer.  This is the best you can help.  Do not call the police - it will only serve to aggrevate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption