What to do if an insurer sent me a letter saying that my father had a check for $680 that was owed to him as a death benefit but it will only pay his “estate”?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an insurer sent me a letter saying that my father had a check for $680 that was owed to him as a death benefit but it will only pay his “estate”?

He died in a nursing home 6 years ago and did not have any property. I had POA over he and my mother for 3 years prior to their death. There was not an estate and he has been gone several years. How do I set up an estate for this when there was this check is all that is in it?

Asked on January 14, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can set up a small estate to obtain the money from the insurance company.  At the law library, ask the librarian to help you find the forms for administration of small estates.  Complete the forms designating yourself as the beneficiary and present those completed forms to the insurance company and the insurance company should send the check payable to you.

In addition to the completed forms from the law library, before sending those forms to the insurance company, ask the insurance company if it has any additional forms it requires for administration of small estates.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption