Advice please

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Advice please

I have created a new product and just had my first conference with a potential engineering company to make me my first prototype. I did not invent this product, I just made it better and plan to actually bring it to the market in a way that will reach millions of people. I don’t need a patent, but I wanted to know what contract/paperwork I should have my engineer and anyone else involved with the project sign so as to protect my particular idea from being copied/otherwise

Asked on September 15, 2017 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

BEFORE showing your product to anyone or discussing  it with anyone, have them sign a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) in which they agree that you own the product idea and they have no rights to it; acknowledge that they are only being shown the product for the possibility of some business arrangement or agreement with you; agree to keep the product idea confidential and not share it with anyone not authorized by you; and further agree that they may not use the idea for their own benefit or for the benift of anyone other than you. If anyone who signs this agreement violates it, you could sue them for "breach of contract" for compensation. The critical thing is, they must sign the agreement before you show or tell them anything: if you disclose the product first, you lose the protection of the agreement, because you disclosed it without them agreeng to keep it confidential.
You can probaby find sample or template agreements like this on-line, but would be better off having a lawyer draft one speicically tailored to your needs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Related Links

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption