If our apartment is uninhabitable, are we entitled to our security deposit back and/or a refund for previous rent?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our apartment is uninhabitable, are we entitled to our security deposit back and/or a refund for previous rent?

Our building has no heat and our kitchen has been demolished and unusable for 1 1/2 weeks Additionally, we’ve been battling a serious roach infestation since the beginning of our lease (2 months ago). There are many other building repairs that need to be done. We asked the landlord if we could break our lease early due to the apartment being uninhabitable.

Asked on October 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are living in an apartment unit that is uninhabitable, you should contact your local health department for an inspection of it. If the unit is in bad shape, the health department will issue a citiation to the landlord requiring it to be remediated. Potentially the unit may also be shut down for human occupation.

Depending upon how bad the conditions are, you may be able to receive a rebate for previous paid rent to the landord. If the lease ends, you should be entitled to the return of your security deposit. I recommend that you immediately consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption