Advance paid but waiting to hear about the product to be installed

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Advance paid but waiting to hear about the product to be installed

We paid an advance of $500 for the delivery and installation of blinds for $675. The owner said he can get it idelivered and nstalled in 2-3 weeks. We have called and left messages for him several times and it has been 7 weeks since we placed the order. He has not called us back nor provided information about the order. We are planning to send him a registered mail asking him to either fulfill the order or return the money back. If he doesn’t do either, what do I do?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Business Law, Connecticut


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You'll have to sue him.  You may be able to do this in a small claims court;  I'm not a Connecticut attorney and I don't know your state's law and procedure.  You might find it worth while consulting with a lawyer in your area, because things like consumer fraud statutes vary from one state to another.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

My research does suggest that Connecticut does have some laws relating to consumer fraud, but you'll need to talk to an attorney or someone in the state Department of Consumer Protection about whether there are any special remedies you can use.  Home improvement contractors are a very frequent source of consumer fraud complaints.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption