What to do if accused of failing to report an accident involving a scuff mark near an ATM?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if accused of failing to report an accident involving a scuff mark near an ATM?

The police are threatening to arrest my son for failing to report an accident several months ago. He has been accused of “running into an occupied building” and doing “significant structural damage”.  Upon investigating, it appears someone brushed the side of the local bank with the car tire while pulling away from the ATM.  He recalls hitting the curb at the bank but not the building.  I have no damage on my vehicle. The building has a scuff mark but no visible damage. Officer claims to have video but has not shown it to me. Officer can’t even tell me date event happened. What should I do?

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son is under the suspicion of causing a crime but no actual charges have been filed against hime concerning the incident involving him and his car, I suggest that it may be best to consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation and let the attorney handle things from there.

If no charges have been filed yet against your son for the damage claimed that he did and there is no damage to the vehicle he was driving in the locality of the bank where the damage to the bank happened, there is a good chance that no charges will be filed. Had law enforcement had proof that he caused the damage, a criminal action would most likely have been filed by now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption