Is it true that a judgment order cannot touch the first $1700 in your account?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it true that a judgment order cannot touch the first $1700 in your account?

They took that and I only had $1700. There was a judgment for which I never received a summons for. I tried calling the agency that took my money and they were very rude and told me that they had to see my last 60 day bank statements, The funds in my account were from my paycheck. The money in my account was for my mortgage, my school tuition and transportation to and from work. I have nothing. How can I get them to release my money?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


Mark Kriegel / Law Office of Mark A. Kriegel, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

New Jersey has a "general" exemption of $1,000 applying to assets and accounts that creditors are attempting to collect.  Other specific exemptions beyond that (for example pensions, child support payments received, etc.) may apply given the particular assets/accounts that the creditor is trying to collect upon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption