Accidents and Insurance

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Accidents and Insurance

I was in a car accident and I didnt have insurance. The other driver did have insurance and he was at fault . He crossed the line causing a head on collision. What do i need to do to file a claim on his insurance for medical bills and the like?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Accident Law, Tennessee


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

At the scene of the accident, he should have provided you with his insurance information.  If not, contact him or the police to get it.  Then call his insurance company and tell them you want to make a claim on their insured's policy and give them his name and the date of the accident.  They will take some information from you, and an adjuster will likely call you back to take a statement regarding what happened, and what injuries and property damage you sustained.  That might take a couple of days until you hear from someone.  That will get the ball rolling.  Typically, the other driver's insurance does not pay bills as you go along with your treatment.  They wait until you are done or at least until they have a good idea of what your injuries are and what the costs will be, and they make you an offer, including the cost of the medical bills, any lost wages, your pain and suffering and any other injury-related medicl expenses.  Regarding your car, they will likely ask you to get a couple of estimates and send them in.  If your car is repairable, they should pay for the repairs.  If it is not, they will let you know that it is a "total loss", and they should pay you for the market value of the vehicle less any salvage value for parts that they deem are usable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption