What to do about an accident while test-driving a dealership car?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an accident while test-driving a dealership car?

I was test- driving a dealership car. I was taking a left turn when a guy rammed into the vehicle. They had not made me sign any waiver nor they had taken any information from me prior to test-driving. The police was called and I was at fault. Do I have to pay for the damages to both cars or just the dealership pays? I am so confused.

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in causing the accident--that is, you were negligent, or unreasonably careless, such as if you carelessly made your left turn into on-coming traffic--then you are potentially liable for any/all damage caused in the accident. A driver of another's car is not liable simply because he or she was driving--but on the other hand, to the degree he or she was negligent, he can be liable, or financially responsible, even when driving another's vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption