Accident put at fault

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Accident put at fault

I had an accident in a city veichle, a car hit me on my left side I was really worried about it I was a commercial young driver at the time supervisor mentioned I was not at fault. I kept asking my supervisor about the accident never got any information about it, I stopped working there and went my own way and a year later when I renewed my policy it showed I was at fault due to what the officer wrote on the report it’s completely wrong. It’s really affecting my record I just want to see if I have a case to remove or change on the report that I was not at fault?

Asked on July 30, 2016 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't change what the officer wrote on his/her report: the officer's report is simply his or her opinion as to what occurred, it is not a legally binding determination (even if the insurer chooses to use it to affect your insurance rates; insurers may use essentially anything they like to raise rates). You can't require him/her to change his/her opinion as to the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption