Access to property

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Access to property

a now ex-friend of mine and I own a plane together 50-50. He only wants me
to fly it with him. We had an argument about it and he has now locked the plane
in his hanger and is denying me access. Is my only choice to get a lawyer and
request the plane be sold and proceeds split? He wants to buy it from me for
much less than market value. Can I file a police report to obtain access to half
my property or would the local authorities not be of any use in this instant?

Asked on January 3, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, the police will not help, since this is not a criminal matter (e.g. theft), but rather is a civil matter (a dispute between two people owning an asset): therefore, you have to bring a lawsuit. You could in theory sue for a court order requiring him to allow you to access, use, etc. the plane, but remaining half owner of a plane in a contentious relationship with the other owner will likely lead to continuing disputes or problems; you would be better off getting a court order that it must be sold at market value and the proceeds split.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption