How doI get my neighbor to remove dead trees that are near my property line if they pose a hazard?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get my neighbor to remove dead trees that are near my property line if they pose a hazard?

My next door neighbor has a few fairly large trees near the property line. If they were to fall they would not only tear down my fence, but they are large enough to cause substantial damage to my garage and possibly damage one of my cars inside. What can I do about it and how should I go about it.

Asked on August 8, 2011 Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First thing I would do is speak with your neighbor about your concerns and offer yourself to take down the dead trees yourself or hire some third person at your cost to remove them.

Hopefully this will solve your problem. If not, there is not much else you can do other than:

1. contact your insurance representative about the dead trees near your property asking if your carrier would pay to have the trees removed;

2. contact your local fire department to see if the trees are a fire hazard or other danger requiring an order of removal.

3. consider bringing a legal action against your neighbor for the trees' removal on the grounds that they are a nuisance (not recommended).

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption