What to do if about a week ago I got fired from my job but was not given anything to sign that states that?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if about a week ago I got fired from my job but was not given anything to sign that states that?

I was a key holder to this store and i entered the after being fired and I took some envelopes. I am seen on camera entering and leaving. Since then I hve returned the envelopes and I returned the keys. Now my ex-boss is saying she wants me to return some money from my last paycheck or she will press charges. Can she do this and what are my rights here?

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) The law does not require an employer to give an employee anything in writing when the employee is fired or terminated.

2) It is illegal to threaten someone with criminal charges unless they agree to give you money; if the employer is threatening to do this, he or she may be committing a  crime (such as extortion) or at least something you could sue over (such as abuse of process).

3) You could theoretically face charges for having stolen the envelopes, even if you later returned them.

4) If you did take any money, the employer may expect it back and could sue you if you don't return it.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption