If about 4 months ago I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed, could I hold the extraction dentist responsible for the root canals that I now need?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If about 4 months ago I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed, could I hold the extraction dentist responsible for the root canals that I now need?

At my follow-up the staff informed me that it was one of the hardest procedures that had come through their office in awhile. About a month later I woke up with a swollen jaw and found out that I had an abscessed tooth (the surrounding tooth) two months later, the same thing happened with the other side of my mouth. Same place opposite side. From what I have been told and research of accessed teeth, it can be caused be broken or chipped tooth that has not been treated. Basically, I now believe that the dentist that preformed my extractions damaged my surrounding teeth leading to the abscesses?.

Asked on December 29, 2013 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to see a personal injury lawyer, who will send copies of your dental records to a dental medical expert, who will make a determination whether the extraction dentist appears to have done anything negligent.  Even if having the extraction led to the need for the root canals, that does not necessarily mean that the dentist's conduct fell below the standard of care.  The personal injury attorney should not charge you anything for this preliminary review of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption