What to do if about 2 years ago my daughter was in a very minor auto accident but the insurance company has never settled the claim?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if about 2 years ago my daughter was in a very minor auto accident but the insurance company has never settled the claim?

Last week they called and said the the claim might exceed my limits of liability and that I may need an attorney. No medical service was called no injuries from this small bumper tap. What are the chances they can take my house and I am confused about what kind of attorney I need for a defense?

Asked on January 24, 2014 under Insurance Law, North Carolina


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely they can take your house, as there is usually a homestead exemption in the law.  You need a personal injury defense attorney licensed in your state.  Sometimes auto accidents seem minor at first, but personal injuries can develop later, such as whiplash and other problems.  If your policy limits are low, you should probably retain an attorney as soon as possible so s/he can start reviewing those medical records and possibly retain an expert witness.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption