If 1 1/2 years ago I was in a car accident for which I was not at fault, what a reasonable settlement for my injury?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If 1 1/2 years ago I was in a car accident for which I was not at fault, what a reasonable settlement for my injury?

My job required a certain amount of heavy lifting and although I could handle the duties of my job, this was not without a significant amount of pain in my upper back. Finally, after some time I was offered a settlement of $1,619 and was told that this offer includes reimbursement for the $459 in medical bills. I didn’t have tons of medical treatment, assuming that, since I’m a young guy, it will get better. However, there was still an extended period of consistent pain. Also, being a young man, I am afraid that they are lowballing me.

Asked on August 27, 2015 under Personal Injury, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The settlement offer should be rejected.  The problem is that you had very little medical treatment and should have had additional medical treatment which would include physical therapy for your back pain.
If you want to settle the case without additional medical treatment, I would ask for $12,000, to compensate for residual back pain, but not expecting to get that, would settle the case for $10,000.  
If you can't get a figure close to $10,000 with your residual back pain, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption