If ayear after I started a job myemployer wants me to sign an employment agreement, do I have to?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If ayear after I started a job myemployer wants me to sign an employment agreement, do I have to?

In the offer letter I had a condition to sign that. The letter reads: Additionally, as a condition of employment, you must sign an employment agreement relative to ideas, inventions, patent applications, patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and confidential information. You will also be required to sign a non-compete agreement. I have no problem to sign an employment agreement, but not the company gave me, because that limits me to choose my next employer a lot. I hope they will terminate the employment, but after that the company will go into a default. Can they force me to sign the employment agreement as it is now?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your employer can force you to sign an employment agreement, including a non-competition agreement, in the sense that it may terminate or fire you if you do not sign it. Employers have the right to set terms and conditions of employment, including that employees sign non-competiton agreements, confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements, or agreements assigning intellectual property rights. They may do this at any time, not merely at the outset of employment; the fact that they may terminate you if you do not sign provides the consideration for the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption