If my grandmother died recently, can I claim my absent father’s inheritance?

UPDATED: May 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother died recently, can I claim my absent father’s inheritance?

The Will says the wealth is to be split between my grandmother’s children (2 uncles, 1 aunt, and my dad). My father is no longer a U. citizen and is no longer in the US nor does he have any plans to return. He didn’t pay child support for a number of years either. Can I claim his inheritance instead of him?

Asked on May 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation. Your father does not have to be a US Citizen to claim his inheritance.  Did you or your Mother ever obtain a judgement against your Father for the support?  Even if you did not I would go and speak with an attorney about collecting now.  You yourself may have the ability to collect up until a certain point after you reach majority.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption