What are my rights if a realtor’s sign damaged my car on a windy day?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a realtor’s sign damaged my car on a windy day?

A metal realtor’s sign blew down the street and into my driveway on a very windy day. I noticed later that my car has a deep scratch on 1 side with several scuffs that are the same color as the sign. My surveillance camera caught the sign blowing around and hitting another car before landing in my driveway but did not catch it hitting my car. The realtor unsurprisingly doesn’t want to pay to fix the scratch. If I take it to small claims court, do I have a case?

Asked on November 22, 2016 under Accident Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that you will prevail in the case because if you sue the realtor for negligence due to damage to your car, the realtor will claim that the wind was an act of God and therefore the realtor is not liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption