A medical assistant calls in medication for a patient without the doctor knowing. The patient dies.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A medical assistant calls in medication for a patient without the doctor knowing. The patient dies.

Is this a criminal or a civil case?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Malpractice Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It's definitely a civil case, for the family of the deceased patient.  If the medication was negligently prescribed -- or if the failure to make sure the doctor knew about the prescription had something to do with the patient's death -- then a court might find malpractice.

A criminal prosecution would not help the victim's family.  In many states, health care professionals like Physician's Assistants or Nurse Practitioners, which are specific licensed occupations, are allowed to prescribe some medications.  But if someone who didn't have legal permission to do that called in a prescription, without being told to do so by the doctor (or another properly licensed person), that might be a criminal offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption