Are alimony payments affected if the spouse seeking alimony moves in with a platonic friend?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are alimony payments affected if the spouse seeking alimony moves in with a platonic friend?

She is going to file for alimony, however with 1 child in college and with a mortgage, money will be tight. It is her intention of working though she hasn’t held a full-time job since before she was marrie (having spent the past 23 years as a homemaker and raising the kids). Will her moving into my home to save money adversely effect any alimony payments? We are not involved just very good friends. She thinks alimony won’t be granted if she moves into my home. What are the laws pertaining to this?

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so here is the thing: they are going to negotiate an agreement or what?  How the law views it is specific to Pennsylvania and how they view "cohabitation."  That is best asked to an attorney in your area.  Many agreements, though, do have a co-habitation clause in them and the type of cohabitation - platonic or romantic - may not matter unless she is specific.  In other words, if she has an apartment with a room mate for shared rent to save money, that is not "cohabitation" generally under the law.   Everyone assumes that it would be romantic cohabitation.  So have her ask a lawyer in your area just to be sure.  If you are of the opposite sex there may be an assumption here not in her favor.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption