a man and women give each other a ring and conmitt to each , that we are as good as married such as a secreat marrige, is this legal living togehe

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

a man and women give each other a ring and conmitt to each , that we are as good as married such as a secreat marrige, is this legal living togehe

we gave each other a ring, and declared to each other, we are as good as married. we are commited to each other we sleep together and do every thing together. she spends time at my house. I spend time at her house. we go places together , like dancing. to dinner. shoping every were also go on vacations

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Personal Injury, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you are talking about  something called "common law marriage".  First of all you would have to be living together under the same roof which is not what is happening here.  But that doesn't matter in this instance  because in Washington State there is no such thing;  there has never been a recognized common law marriage.  The only marriages that Washington does recognize are those which are created by state license, through either a wedding or civil ceremony, and later made a public record.

Many people mistakenly think that if you live together long enough, you are considered common law married.  The bad thing about this way of thinking, which is wrong, is that it causes all parties involved to believe there are pensions, inheritance monies, and social security benefits that will be paid to the surviving spouse.  This is not the case in Washington, so as you see it can create problems.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption