If anotheer company wants to foreclose on our company,W wll we have the opportunity to delay foreclosure until after a hearing?

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If anotheer company wants to foreclose on our company,W wll we have the opportunity to delay foreclosure until after a hearing?

The lender is holding invoices which will cover the debt within two weeks. Can the lender be forced to apply what he receives from our customers? Will we be able to ask for a stay and a hearing?

Asked on December 17, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Generally, to "foreclose" on a business, or call debts due and/or recover security for bad debt, does require a hearing first; however, check the terms of the agreements to see what they indicate for the process. Even if the agreements will allow them to, for example, take security without a hearing, you would then have the right to go to court and file a complaint claiming that the lender's action was wrong and seeking a stay until a hearing can be scheduled; this will usually at least buy you a few weeks of time. However, before doing any of this, speak with the lender--they may well be willing to voluntarily give you additional time and/or work out a payment schedule or plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption