What to do if a legal collection agency has asked me to confer on a discovery plan and discuss settlement?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a legal collection agency has asked me to confer on a discovery plan and discuss settlement?

My unemployment situation has not changed from the last time I spoke with the agency. My situation may soon change, but my top priority when I become employed, is saving my house. I told the agency that priority and that the debt settlement will happen after the house is settled. What are my options in dealing with the agency, as it is apparent they are seeking court action?

Asked on September 5, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I urge you to confer privately with an attorney at this time. The attorney will advise you as to your rights, and provide legal advice as to what would be wise and prudent for you to do. The attorney will examine whether the collection agency is acting in a law abiding manner in all regards. If there are violations of law, you may be able to pursue remedies for damages and penalities, and reimbursement of attorney fees.  You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666






IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption