What to do if a lawsuit was filed against me and another person in which the driver hit me on the side from the middle turning lane?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a lawsuit was filed against me and another person in which the driver hit me on the side from the middle turning lane?

No ticket was issued because the officer couldn’t determine who was at fault. However a second officer arrived and stated that from the hit on the side of the car that I was driving, I was at fault but I don’t think that was documented. I know I wasn’t at fault, so I’m trying to determine whether I should get a lawyer myself because of the lawsuit now.

Asked on June 24, 2014 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to be represented by an attorney.  Contact your auto insurance company which will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.

If you don't have an attorney representing you, and you don't file a timely answer to the complaint (lawsuit), the other party can get a default judgment against you which means you have lost the case unless the default is set aside.  This is only one example of why you need an attorney to represent you during the course of litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption