If agirl in my school is harassing me what canI legally do?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If agirl in my school is harassing me what canI legally do?

This girl is harassing me through her facebook wall and has sent messages to my boyfriend and has told her friends who have told me she is trying to put pictures that will offend me in our yearbook. I have looked at the pictures for our lay out and in fact they are in there. I don’t know what to do. I am going to the yearbook teacher and the princable but I want to know if there is anything I can do legally at this point. She is over 18.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Personal Injury, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to capture these facebook postings and print them. Further, contact the authorities (police) immediately and contact Facebook to have her site shutdown. The school board will need to be informed, in addition to the principal. More and more states have anti-bullying statutes and she will be tried accordingly. Talk to your parents, hire a lawyer and sue her and sue her quickly. Harassment and such items are usually under the zero tolerance laws statewide and by school policy. Do not sit on this. Contact the proper authorities quickly. Show the items and make sure she is quickly shut down. Get your boyfriend and others to put down what they witnessed in writing and email it to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption