What constitutes public intoxication?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes public intoxication?

A friend went to be disorderly when I went to get him in the parking lot of a bar. We where behind the cops when they turned around and told us to back up. As I was, the cop brought up his hand when I asked him “please do not touch me”. He then proceeded to throw me to the ground and handcuffed me. He took me back to the police station and had me do a breathalyzer; I blew a .02. He then proceeded to give me a ticket for public intoxication and released me. I don’t believe it was public intoxication as I was not intoxicated and was very happy to follow his directions. Am I correct? I have no previous record as well as a secret security clearance.

Asked on June 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Public intoxication (also known as being drunk and disorderly)in some countries  requires some obvious display of intoxicated behavior in public as opposed to being in one's own home that is  disruptive.  Based upon what you have written you do not appear guilty of the charge, but that is not my call. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality for assistance. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption