If afriend is renting our basement and recently fell on wet leaves on the steps when taking her dogs out, can she sue me?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If afriend is renting our basement and recently fell on wet leaves on the steps when taking her dogs out, can she sue me?

She has renters insurance.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As the owner of the property, you are liable for your friend's injury on the steps.  Your friend could file a personal injury claim with your insurance carrier.  Her personal injury claim   would include her medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of any wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of her injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  If the case is settled with your insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled with your insurance carrier, your friend could file a lawsuit against you for negligence.  If that happens, refer the matter to your insurance carrier.  Your insurance carrier will provide  you with an attorney at no cost to you.  Your insurance carrier will handle the case for you.  This type of case is usually settled with the insurance carrier without a lawsuit being filed. If the case is not settled with the insurance carrier and your friend does not file a lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations, your friend will lose her rights forever in the matter and her lawsuit will be barred by the statute of limitations. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption