A “friend” has been using images of my work (I work in fashion) on her own website and claiming the images as her own. What can I do?

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A “friend” has been using images of my work (I work in fashion) on her own website and claiming the images as her own. What can I do?

She has now removed my images from her site, but refused to provide me with dates as to when these images went online, even though she claims they were put up by her web designers by accident. She has breached my copyright and that of the photographers I used. Any future client of mine who has seen these photos on her site will now believe I have used her images and not vice versa. She is refusing to give me her lawyers details to get in contact with. I feel compenstaion is in order.

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Business Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Copyright is a very technical field of law, and if you want compensation, you are probably going to have to sue her.  To do that successfully, you are almost certainly going to need a lawyer who has experience in this field, sometimes more broadly referred to as "intellectual property," which includes copyright and patent law.  One place to start looking for a copyright lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Some of the questions you would be facing, in your lawsuit, would be proof.  Can you prove, other than by your own testimony, that she did what you claim?  And for how long can you prove that the images stayed on her website?  Proving damages is another important question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption