If a friend drove my car and ran a stop sign and totaled it, who is legally and financially responsible?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a friend drove my car and ran a stop sign and totaled it, who is legally and financially responsible?

My friend and I went out using my car and throughout the course of the night I became inebriated and unable to drive. My friend offered to drive and soon after ran a stop sign resulting in my car being smashed on the driver’s side. The friend was cited for 2 charges of driving under the influence under age 21 and also failure to stop at a stop sign. I only had liability insurance and would like compensation from her for half the fees and the value of the car. Who is responsible?

Asked on October 11, 2018 under Accident Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the accident; however, you can sue the driver for negligence. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of the car to compensate for its loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption