What to do if a driver pulled out in front of my son’ s motorcylce but the other driver’s insurance company will not pay out on the claim?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a driver pulled out in front of my son’ s motorcylce but the other driver’s insurance company will not pay out on the claim?

My son was traveling 40 in a 35 mph zone and a truck made a left turn in front of him and he hit the rear passanger side of the truck. My son got a deferred speeding ticket the the other driver got a failure to yield ticket. The other driver’s insurance company has said my son was at fault is will not pay out on the claim. My son did not have insurance coverage on his vehicle. What recourse does my son have in getting the insurance company to payout?

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Accident Law, Montana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would have to sue the other drive and prove in a court of law: 1) that the was negligent, or careless (the ticket will help); 2) the carelessness caused the damage to your son's vehicle or injury to him; and also 3) your son's own carelessness (e.g. speeding) was not a significant factor in causing the accident and damage or injury. If you can show this, there should be a judgment, or award, against the other driver, which will be paid by him or the insurer. In the lawsuit, you should name the other driver and, if he was not self-employed, whomever he was driving for at the time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption