If a customer agreed to pay for shipping for a commissioned painting but they have yet to pay me, what legal action can I take?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a customer agreed to pay for shipping for a commissioned painting but they have yet to pay me, what legal action can I take?

A customer agreed to pay $1000 plus shipping for a commissioned painting. I mailed it months ago and from the exact date I mailed it (and therefore requested payment) his grandmother convenietly broke her hip. Then 2 weeks after him being unable to pay me because he was at the hospital, and then her funeral, he managed to have a car wreck. He was then unable to pay me because he was in the hospital but he promised his secretary would make the transaction. I have yet to hear from any secretary, see any money, and now they have stopped responding all together. What legal action can I take? Its been 3 months.

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the customer. If you can prove the existence of an agreement whereby the customer would pay you the $1,000 plus shipping, and can also establish that you did the work and shipped the item, you should have a very strong case. Unfortunately, there is no way to recover the money but by suing; given the cost of hiring an attorney, you may wish, especially if you have good evidence (e.g. written agreement; proof of delivery) to consider representing yourself. Otherwise, the cost of an attorney could equal or exceed what you hope to recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption