****A couple of weeks back I found out my child was molested I reported to the police ,cps and the school. She was interview and hospital examined her

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

****A couple of weeks back I found out my child was molested I reported to the police ,cps and the school. She was interview and hospital examined her

Perpetraor is still free what can I do? Detective tells he just needs a positive id. I gave him his full name possible date of birth and his address. What can I do? please help.

Asked on March 24, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


S.B.A., Member, California and Texas Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Usually, your daughter has to identify him - either choose him from among photos of approx six men, or point him out in a line-up. 

How old is your daughter ?

Is there any corroborating evidence (physical damage to her, another person saw them together & saw she was upset, etc.)

'Molest' is a broad term. If it was touching, a Prosecutor will have to prove touching on specific areas of her body and for the reason of sexual gratification.

Prosecutors and police are usually excellent in following up on this type of charge (indeed, most of them are parents). There may be a legal problem in charging him (he may have an excellent alibi, your daughter may have contradicted herself unwittenly, there may be no proof to sustain the charges, etc.)

Or, they may be building their case and they don't want to rush into anything and have it dismissed. If the Police haven't completed their investigation, the report hasn't even been sent to the Prosecutor for consideration of charges.

Call the Detective assigned to the case and ask why nothing has been done and what can you do to get the predator charged. If the explanation given is not acceptable, ask for the supervisor's name and lodge a complaint with that person. Go to the Chief/Head of Sheriff's Dept.  if necessary.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption