What to do if contractor is charging me for windows that he sent back but I did not receive and now I’m being charged for them?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if contractor is charging me for windows that he sent back but I did not receive and now I’m being charged for them?

He wrote me an email, telling me he was deducting the price from what I owed for the wrong window. I did sign the contract and didn’t notice the window was wrong. Because of that he is claiming I have to pay for the window I sent back and the new one. He never told me I would have to. Am I obligated to pay for something I did not receive?

Asked on October 10, 2013 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If, as per the contract, you ordered the wrong window, you would have to pay for them--BUT are entitled to receive said wrong windows and could, for example, resell them (e.g. on eBay or Craig's List) to recover some of the cost. Or he may charge you a small restocking fee and reshipping fee to correct the order, return the wrong windows which you had ordered, and get the right ones. What he can't do is charge you the full price for the wrong windows then not give them to you.

Note that for future reference, it is your responsibility to carefully check any contract(s) before signing; once you sign a contract, you are obligated to it.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption