If a collector failed to validate a debt and has now filed a complaint in court, what do I do?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a collector failed to validate a debt and has now filed a complaint in court, what do I do?

They notified me of the debt they claim was unpaid since almost 3 years. I responded asking for validation and they sent an altered document (many items blacked out) and demanded payment. I told them their figured didn’t add up to any figures on the paper and that the document they sent didn’t pertain to me (my name wasn’t on it anywhere.) Now they have served me with a summons and I don’t know what to do.

Asked on December 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been served with a summons and complaint, you obviously have been named in a legal dispute. In order to prevent a default and default judgment against you, an answer with affirmative defenses needs to be timely served upon the plaintiff's attorney and filed with the court.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices debt collection law about the situation you have written about. You need to be aware that the third party debt collection company may be engaging in an unfair debt collection practice by claiming that you owe the debt where you do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption