If a child has been told by the custodial parent that she cannot see the other parent and if she asks, she loses all her priveledges, can anything be done?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a child has been told by the custodial parent that she cannot see the other parent and if she asks, she loses all her priveledges, can anything be done?

Can you get free help if you seriously cannot afford an attorney even if you have a good job?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is a difficult situation because it requires putting the child on the spot with the court, judge, everyone... including her custodial parent.  You can file a motion with the court to restrict the other parent from making these types of comments.  A better plan of action is to file for custody on the basis that this is an emotionally abusive situation to put the child in... essentially arguing that you should have custody while ex- goes through some serious counseling. 

As far as legal help... several attorneys through this site and elsewhere will often allow clients to use payment plans.  This is a change from the days when attorneys demanded payment in full, up-front.  You can also call around to different legal services groups... you may qualify for free help after they consider your child support obligation and other bills.  A final option, it to contact the district clerk in your county (or a nearby county) and see if the local bar association hosts pro bono clinics.  This is where local lawyers show up to offer free or reduced fee services to people that need help with legal issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption