If a cable company damaged our home and property but they are not willing to make good on all damage, what can I do to get compensation?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a cable company damaged our home and property but they are not willing to make good on all damage, what can I do to get compensation?

A local cable repairman came into our yard to work on a pole in the back yard. I gave him permission to be there. While on the property he cut a mature citrus tree in half vertically. In dragging the branches out he took a shortcut through our small wooden walk through gate rather than to go around to our large double gate. In doing so he damaged the gate and a trellis. The company seems willing to do quick and fast repairs to gate and trellis but, not to compensate us for our tree. We have lived here 9 years and have had many workers access that pole. This has never happened before.

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Business Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the cable company for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable cable company would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  The cable company is liable for the negligence of its employee which occurred during the course and scope of employment.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would be the cost of repairs to your property.  With regard to the loss of the tree, your damages would be either the value of the tree or the diminution in value of your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption