If a landlord fails to make a promised repair, is that grounds for a tenant to break their lease?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a landlord fails to make a promised repair, is that grounds for a tenant to break their lease?

My best friend rented a mobile home with the understanding that the central A/C was scheduled for repair. It was not repaired. Instead the manager installed a window unit in the kitchen and told my friend that it was sufficient. It does not cool the bedroom, as there is no air circulation. He was told to leave it running 24 hours a day. But they don’t pay the electric bill, my friend does. They have given him excuse after excuse about why it’s not fixed and his bedroom continues to be worse than a sauna. Does he have grounds to break his lease?

Asked on August 8, 2011 Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This MAY be grounds to break his lease; it certainly is grounds to sue for compensation.

If there was an agreement to provide central A/C, and if the central A/C is not provided, that is  breach of the agreement. That breach allows a suit for compensation--essentially, the difference in value between the rental with central A/C and the rental without (and/or compenation for extra electrial costs).

It would only allow the tenant to terminate the lease without penalty if the breach is sufficiently "material" (or important) of if the lack of central A/C makes the premises effectively uninhabitable. That depends on how bad  the premises is without central A/C. Your friend should consult with an attorney to discuss these issues. Good luck to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption