If abusiness partner has stolen funds from our account, how do I proceed with recovering them?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If abusiness partner has stolen funds from our account, how do I proceed with recovering them?

Opened an LLC Partnership. It was not going well so mutually decided to dissolve it. Paper work submitted to state to make legal changes. In meantime, partner obtained most recent invoice payment and cashed it. I can prove with time sheets that all funds were earned by myself. How do I recover with least amount of inconvenience?

Asked on April 16, 2011 under Business Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only way to recover would be for the LLC--the entity which had the right to the invoice payment--to sue the partner for misappropriate of funds; once the LLC has the funds, they can be paid or distributed as would be appropriate under the LLC agreement, per employment contract, etc. The problem is, even if you did the work, if the check was to be paid to the LLC (e.g. billed by LLC), it is the LLC and not you directly which has the right to seek recovery.

If the check was to be paid to you (e.g. made out to you; billed by you directly; or the LLC agreement or employment or other contracts specified that a payment like this would go to you directly) then you would have the right to proceed in your own name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption