What are my rights if a brick building fell into our home and my doctors say that I’m going to be permanently disabled?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a brick building fell into our home and my doctors say that I’m going to be permanently disabled?

I was covered with about 1500 lbs of concrete and brick. The city knew it was condemned but wouldn’t tear it down. There has to be some kind of code violations here. Is the city responsible? I could of died but luckily my boyfriend got me out.

Asked on December 19, 2015 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The building's owner (which may have been the city at that point, if the city took it over; but could also be a bank, a person, or a corporation or LLC) is responsible IF they knew (e.g. from inspections; from reports of anything falling off the building; etc.) or reasonably should have known (such as based on the obvious visual condition of the building) that it posed a reasonable threat of falling. In that case, it would be negligent, or unreasonably careless, to not take action in light of a known or likely threat. The owner also be liable if he/she/it did not inspect the building or perform maintenance on it in an unreasonably long time, shirking their duty to maintain it and protect others and letting it deteriorate. So the issue as to liability is fault; and the potentially liable party is whomever owned the building and had the power to maintain, etc. it. If you are facing permanent disability, it would be well worth your while to consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss the situation and possibly suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption