What to do if a creditor from a 9 year old judgement garnished my account for $6700?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a creditor from a 9 year old judgement garnished my account for $6700?

The debt was from a previous marriage. They state I owe 6k in additional interest from the 9 years. I was unaware my ex did not take care of this (as was in the divorce degree). What can I do to settle this or protect myself?

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a consumer law attorney experience din debt collection matters. From what you have written, you may be obligated on the judgment due to it being a marital obligation but any amounts that you end up paying on it seems to be subject to reimbursement by your "ex" per the marital decree stated.

I suggest you also discuss the matter with your "ex" to get it resolve done way or another where she ends up paying the full amount owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption