90 years old, paying life for 33 years,now premiums upped

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

90 years old, paying life for 33 years,now premiums upped

I have been paying on a $25,000 life insurance policy for 33 years. Insurance company had now demanded a $500 payment as well as now will triple my premiums. Is this how they get rid of old people and will not have to pay the death benefit?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They cannot increase your premiums during a policy term, since during a given policy term, the premiums are those set by the policy, which is a contract: i.e. during a policy term, they are contractually locked into specified premiums. However, once a policy term ends they can increase the premiums the way you indicate; there is no inherent right to purchase or have life insurance, and insurers may set premiums however they like.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption