What to do about scare collection tactics?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about scare collection tactics?

I have been getting calls from 888 or 877 toll free calls either on my cell phone or home phone that state I need to contact them asap that they have a fraud case against me pending or legal matter that I owe money on. As far as I am aware all my debts have been paid but they call about record or “files” that are 3 years old. After researching the internet on these numbers I see many post that they are fake collection companies with scare tactics. How do I handle these calls to assure they are real stating that they will serve me paperwork?

Asked on January 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are receiving calls that could be deemed unfair debt collection practices in your state under its laws and under federal statute as well, you should contact your district attorney's office (white collar crime department) and make a complaint as to what is occurring. Be prepared to provide the district attorney's office with all paperwork and information that you have.

Another option is for you to consult with an attorney who practices law in unfair debt collection practices to see what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption