Can my ex just move wherever she likes with my daughter?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex just move wherever she likes with my daughter?

We have 60/40 custody; I have the 40. My ex wants to move my daughter to another state. My daughter does not want to move due to verbal abuse within that family. She is only 8 so cannot yet legally make that choice. Do I have any ground to stand on?

Asked on November 29, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you share custody, in such a situation, you can go to court and try to fight the move. The court will then make its determination based on the best interests of your child. It will weigh such factors as the reason for the move, how far away they would be moving, educational opportunities for your child, your relationship with your child, etc.

At this point, you should consult with a family law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption