What to do if 6 months ago I was told that my position at work was being eliminated but it has been delayed until who knows when?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if 6 months ago I was told that my position at work was being eliminated but it has been delayed until who knows when?

I have worked for this company for 20 years and there is a nice severance package I will receive. My job has changed and has pretty much become a part time job although i’m still being paid full time with benefits, I’m an hourly employee and I stay for 8 hours a day plus lunch break. I was discussing the situation with my supervisor and she told me the HR director/office manager was ready to fire me. Right now I’m not sure of my options are or what the company’s limitations are on firing me.

Asked on October 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are getting a severance package for being fired, and you don't know when that will occur, review the severance package and see if it is only available to you for a limited time. Sounds like you are being pulled around.  Quietly speak with your state's labor department and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission about your next steps. It shouldn't be an issue if you can exercise your severance opportunity now. If you are concerned, talk those agencies and see if you can then begin dialogue with HR directly. Document everything that happens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption