What can I do if 4 days of a leak in my kitchen ceiling/wall is not being taken care of and the damage is getting worse?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if 4 days of a leak in my kitchen ceiling/wall is not being taken care of and the damage is getting worse?

I own an apartment in a co-op and brought to the attention a leak in my kitchen/ceiling that leaves water on my windowsill every morning at a certain time. Super was notified but no investigation to the source was made. Management was notified and there was no result there. The leak is caused by nothing of my own doing or in my apartment. It is out of my hands. The cracks are slowly spreading on my ceiling and the plaster is getting softer. The leak happens only once per day for about an hour and the lack of their investigation of the source of the leak is bothering me.

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you actually own the unit that has the water damage happening to it, you have an obligation to mitigate the resulting damage regardless if the problem is a common area issue that the association most likely would be obligated to repair.

As such, I suggest that you immediately contact a licensed roofer for starts to come out to the unit to see what can be done to stop the leak and make the necessary repairs. If the roofer cannot do the fix, a licensed contractor would be the next person to call.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption