What to do if my son was charged with DUI and speeding?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son was charged with DUI and speeding?

My 20 year old son was speeding; 126 mph clocked by radar. He also blew .19, was charged with DUI, and spent the night in county jail. His charges say type “m” offence; type “f” statute 316.193. He was bonded out at $500. What in the world does this mean for him?

Asked on January 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

As you can see, a DUI triggers not just a civil but a criminal case as well.  And the fact is that anytime criminal charges are involved it is always advisable to have legal counsel.  A skilled DUI attorney could potentially get the charges dismissed on a technicality (or possibly get them reduced).  For example, they could challenge the accuracy of the breathalyzer test, or the accuracy of the radar.  They could also challenge any procedural improprieties.  Additionally, assuming that your son is a first-time offender there may special alternative sentencing programs that he may be eligible for.

When retaining a lawyer for the case, choose one that practices in the court in question.  They will have local contacts within the system that could prove invaluable when negotiating with the prosecutor on your son's behalf, or pleading his case before a judge 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption