What to do if I purchased a salvage car for $14,500 but crashed and totaled it 3 weeks later?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I purchased a salvage car for $14,500 but crashed and totaled it 3 weeks later?

This happened 2 months ago; I gave a down payment of $2500. The seller wants me to either buy another car with him and pay him both cars in 1 monthly payment or go to court if i don’t pay him for the car. I want to know if by law I’m forced to finish paying it?

Asked on December 4, 2013 under Accident Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you had an agreement with the seller of the car that you bought and totaled where payment was to be made over time which you have not been able to do, then under the laws of all states in this country you owe the seller of the car that you wrecked the balance owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption